Sunday, September 19, 2010

STEM Strategies

insa
This week we were asked to write a lesson plan using STEM strategies. I found this very challenging. Is there truly a way to incorporate Science, technology, engineering, and mathematics into the same lesson? The school I was teaching at in TX was suppose to become a STEM school, but the district decided to concentrate on the high school first. Implementing STEM in any school would require a lot of collaboration between the teachers involved. Although I have a background in science with a chemistry major and math as math minor I am not sure that I effectively integrated the math into the lesson well enough. Also at the moment the extent of adding technology is having the students create PowerPoints. While I have grown up around computers I still do not know how to use half of the things out there. I have worked around teachers that have had their students create movies on movie maker, creating podcasts among other things. I do not know where to start with these things. It would be wonderful if there was a course on how to incorporate technology into our lessons where we would experiment with what is out there. This is my first time attempting a blog and they have been a round for a while. I know other teachers have implemented them into their classes.

Another twist given to us was the use of the 5E's- engagement, exploration, explanation, elaboration, and evaluation. This process is similar to what we have used before. In TX we had to use very specific plans, and the focus was always more on the vocabulary and what we did as a teacher and what the students would do. I like the 5E format better as I feel we get to explain more of what the students will be doing. However I wish we had a little more explanation about how to implement each section. I am not sure if I applied each section correctly.

The lesson I wrote dealt with infectious diseases where the students would simulate a disease spreading and would try to figure out where it started from. They would be given some math problems to figure out that if an outbreak were to happen for real how it could affect the school, town, state and country. They would then work in groups and study an outbreak that has happened in the past, find out why it happened, what was done to stop the outbreak and what has been done to prevent future outbreaks. I would conclude by discussing careers that deal with infectious such as immunology and epidemiology. The main logistical issue would be working with the math teacher to try and figure out the problems or if there is an algorithm for the students to use for their calculations. Other than that I think the lesson would work out well.

3 comments:

  1. I really like your lesson idea. I feel that it is always helpful to put real world applications into the lessons and I think the students would be motivated to work on your lesson. It also helps that it's a little icky when you get into diseases.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Meg! I found the idea on the web and thought it would be a good way for the students to get thinking about diseases and how they spread.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,

    After a lot of searching, I think that this might be a useful resource that would be helpful for getting started in podcasting:

    http://expertvoices.nsdl.org/middle-school-math-science/2009/06/09/podcast-tools-for-students-and-teachers/

    Amy

    Reference:

    Lightie, Kimberly. Podcast Tools for Students and Teachers. (2009). Retrieved from http://expertvoices.nsdl.org/middle-school-math-science/2009/06/09/podcast-tools-for-students-and-teachers/

    ReplyDelete